Here’s a Recap of the “DO and DO NOT” from the Book of Philippians
Today I would like to summarize what we’ve learned from our study on how God expects us to conduct ourselves during this life on earth in the Book of Philippians.
I believe that the Book of Philippians is a God inspired guideline for our walk and being in this world. And just as a reminder, the Book of Philippians is not the only book in the Bible to give advice for life. We have to take the whole of Scripture into consideration and it’s important to keep all of it in context.
Let’s look at all the instructions God gave us to live a humble and fulfilling life.
We’ll start with what to DO and follow with what NOT to DO.
- proclaim the gospel without fear;
- let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ;
- stand fast in one spirit, with one mind;
- agree wholeheartedly with each other;
- love one another;
- work together with one mind and purpose;
- do things in lowliness of mind;
- esteem others better than yourself;
- look out for the interests of others;
- work hard to show the results of your salvation;
- obey God with deep reverence and fear;
- become blameless and harmless children of God;
- shine as lights in this world;
- hold fast the Word of life;
- rejoice in the Lord;
- forget the things which are behind;
- look forward to what lies ahead;
- follow Paul’s example;
- model your life after Jesus Christ and the Apostles;
- be gentle to all men;
- be considerate in all you do;
- pray about everything;
- tell God what you need;
- thank Him for all he has done;
- fix your thoughts on what is:
(meaning: have positive thoughts)
- think about things that are:
worthy of praise.
- put into practice all you have:
heard from Paul.
- do nothing through:
selfish ambition or conceit
- do not look out for your own interests only
- stop complaining and disputing/arguing
- have no confidence in the flesh,
- don’t worry
It’s a long list. What to do, however, outweighs what not to do, which should make it easier to remember and follow.
May the Lord bless us all to stand tall for Him, keep shining for Him, and live for Him!
What would you add to this list?
Feel free to leave me a comment; I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Kindly note that I am not claiming to have exhausted all the instructions in Philippians. This list is not complete. I am sure I have overlooked a “Do” and a “Do Not”.
May our hearts rejoice in the Lord always!
I hope this post is an encouragement to you in your walk with the Lord.
Philippians 1:9-11 (NKJV)
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
To God be the Glory!
Next week I will start a new topic.